Only a few years ago the idea of having a laptop with a wireless card was to be honest quite expensive. It wasn’t that long ago when you had to purchase a pcmcia card to enable you to connect to a WiFi network. I remember seeing the first laptop that came with this built-in, to be honest it was a bit of a revelation and made so much sense.
Since then all major manufacturers of laptops now supply them with WiFi cards built-in. The simple joy of being able to pick up your computer and walk anywhere around the house and sit in covert is a joy to behold. It also gives the opportunity for other people in your house to separately connect to her WiFi network without having to worry of cables. It’s a nice sunny day it’s fantastic to be able to sit on the patio and work away e-mailing or colleagues without them realizing that you are relaxed and enjoying the fine weather.
Once you have configured your wireless router this of course gives everybody in the family the opportunity to connect to the Internet so they can check e-mail, visit their favorite websites or instant message friends.
If you have not yet set up a wireless network at home there are a feud thinks that you need to.
1. Your broadband router whether this is cable or DSL needs to be able to transmit a wireless signal. If the particular device you’re using dose not have this simply phone your service provider to see if they have an option.
2. You will need a laptop with a built-in wireless card or a PC that is also a wireless enabled.
3. Depending on what operating system you are using you may need software to connect the two of these together.
Once you have established a connection you are then free to wonder around your home without being tied to them to using a network cable. It can also be very productive as you can sit in different locations of your home depending on what type of mood you are in. I find sometimes sitting in the kitchen in the early evening when the sun is setting to be very relaxing. This is one of the great advantages of having a wire free network at home.
Martin Smith is a writer providing advice on Dell Wireless USB if you have time drop by his site for some tips and information.
The NETGEAR N300 WiFi Router with External Antennas (WNR2020v2) offers faster downloads and Internet gaming. This router delivers high-performance wireless speeds of up to 300 Mbps and is the ideal router for medium-sized homes. It delivers the speed and reliability needed for applications such as HD streaming, online gaming and a secure and reliable connection to the Internet. The WNR2020 includes advanced features such as external 5dBi antennas for improved WiFi coverage, Push 'N' Connect for easy push button WiFi connections and guest network access for a separate and secure Internet access for guests.
- N300 Wi-Fi speed for faster downloads & Internet gaming
- 5dBi antennas for improved Wi-Fi coverage. NOTE: This product comes with an ethernet cable.
- Manage your home network with NETGEAR genie
- Use Push-N-Connect to add devices to your WiFi network with a push of a button
- GUEST NETWORK ACCESS for separate & secure WiFi access for guests
- SECURE WIFI CONNECTIONS for highest level wireless security with WPA/WPA2
- 4 MB flash and 32 MB RAM, Five (5) (1 WAN, 4 LAN) Fast Ethernet ports
- This version of the product will have 'WNR2020-200PAS' stickered on box