Super Simple (and cheap) Wine Making: I’ve been brewing for years. I started out with a huge complicated kit and there are times when it’s necessary to break that out, but now that I have a good understanding of exactly what’s going on I’ve boiled the process down to streamline it.
To do this you will need
* 1 jug of sugar based fruit juice (or any liquid with a high amount of sugar)
* 1 packet of wine or champaign yeast
* 1 (maybe two) condoms… have an extra in case one breaks when you apply it.
Open the fruit juice and pour out about 2 cups of juice. Be sure not to contaminate the mouth of the jug with any bacteria (like drinking directly from the jub)
Open the champaign yeast and pour into the jug.
Put the lid back on the jug, shake well and then take the lid back off again.
Stretch the condom (or large baloon) over the opening of the fruit juice jug so it seals off the jug from outside air.
Use a small pin/needle to poke 2-3 holes in the top of the condom/balloon to let air escape.
As the yeast ferment the juice they release Carbondioxide gas. This gas expands to fill the jug and then the condom/balloon and creates a positive pressure in the jug. This positive pressure keeps outside air and contaminates from entering the jug. The small holes in the condom/balloon allow the gas to vent at a controlled pace, keeping a positive pressure in the jug.
When the condom/balloon completely deflates and stays deflated for 2-3 days your wine is ready to consume. There will probably be a small layer of sediment at the bottom of the jug. Pour off the wine and leave the sediment (it tastes bad). This sediment is the primarily dead yeast yeast (it’s actually very nutritious, but tastes horrible).
You also have the option of freezing the wine solid in a deep freeze for 2-3 days. This will help cold condition your wine and help to clear it. Be sure to let the wine completely thaw before drinking.
If you want to make MEAD instead of fruit or juice wine, add 2-3 lbs of warmed water (microwave it for a minute or so, nothing above 80 degrees) to a gallon jug and water to a gallon. Warm water helps the yeast get rolling and will help to dissolve the honey. Stir until all honey is dissolved and then throw in the yeast packet and seal with the air lock (condom in this case). Add fruit juice or other flavors as needed. Vanilla bean or extract works well. Other spices to try would be pre-mixed pie spices like apple or pumpkin pie spices. Try 2-3 tablespoons per gallon.
James enjoys a myriad of hobbies from computer gaming, paranormal research, web design, teaching & adult training, natural healing & herbalism to making his own wine and beer. He is an avid home brewer and has been for many years specializing in traditional honey and fruit based wines. More recently he has begun serious study into beer recipes and methods and plans on producing a series of beer videos on youtube to match his “super simple winemaking” videos that are so popular on the site. Project websites include: http://simplehomebrewing.com
Everywhere Home Brewers are Raving about this Dual Scale Refractometer
This is the Best Refractometer for Home Brewing, Wine or Beer Making
- Easy to Read and Use
- Measures the sugar content with specific gravity (SG) and brix
A must have! You can't beat the convenience of a Refractometer
- The refractometer is made from aircraft aluminum and offers you the ability to take your readings with Specific Gravity and Brix.
- This can replace your hydrometer for easier and more accurate measurements.
- Simply use the dropper to take a sample of wort and put it on the prism.
- Then hold the refractometer up to the light and look through the eyepiece.
This Refractometer is backed by a 1 Year - No Hassle - Free Replacement Guarantee.Price: $23.97
- Fortrea is the ONLY Authorized Seller. Unauthorized sellers cannot guarantee or offer warrantees. THE PERFECT HOME BREW WITH EASE: Take control of your brewing with a Brew Tapper Dual Scale Refractometer by testing the Brix and Specific Gravity. Our refractometer will make you the most efficient at making homemade beer, wines, fruit juices and other homemade beverages by upgrading your hydrometer with this Handheld Brix Refractometer.
- AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION: Unlike other cheap refractometers on the market, this Handheld Brix Refractometer has built-in ATC, which accounts for changes in ambient temperature and automatically compensates accordingly to guarantee consistently accurate readings from Brix (0-32%) and Specific Gravity (1.000-1.130).
- ENJOY MORE: Stop taking large samples of wine or wort in a test jar for your hydrometer to read. With just a drop or 2 of your brew, you can get fast and accurate readings every time.
- STURDY & COMPACT DESIGN: This wort refractometer is constructed with non-staining, non-corrosive and non-reactive aluminum material which guarantees hygiene and safety for all-grain and extract novice or master brewers.
- ACCESSORIES & WARRANTY: The Brew Tapper Refractometer comes in a protective hard plastic case for convenience during traveling, a precision calibration screwdriver, 3ml pipette, instructions, and a lens cleaning cloth. The perfect DIY Brew-master kit. Backed by a 1 Year Warranty - No Hassle - Free Replacement Guarantee.