Portable Appliance Testing (or PAT Testing) is a legally required method of testing portable appliances. There are many stages that go towards the testing process. It will end with either a pass or fail result.
Portable Appliance Testing needs to look at certain safety elements. Amongst the things that can cause the failure is damage to cables, plugs and wires, overheating and signs of water damage. There should be no bare wires and no sign of internal damage.
The testing needs to be done according to the IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) guidelines. Before testing takes place anyone who is not part of the testing team should leave the premises.
The most basic part of the testing process is the visual inspection. Over 90% of problems are said to be found during this part of the process. It consists of the tester looking at the appliance and seeing if there are any obvious issues. Here the tester will be able to see any poor wiring, cracked casing, bent pins and other damage. These are the most basic areas where appliances fail the PAT test.
The location that a particular appliance is used needs to be inspected. There must be sufficient ventilation (depending one the needs of the equipment), the area cannot be unreasonably damp, and controls to the equipment must be easily accessible.
An Earth Bond Test needs to be carried out during the testing process. Electrical Test Equipment is necessary for this part of the procedure. This is a test between the earth bond and continuity between the plug pin and external components. The voltage and test current is assessed during this process.
Other parts of the test are the insulation test and operational test. The insulation test is necessary to ensure the insulation resistance is safe. The operational test simply consists of the tester switching the equipment on and testing out certain regular functions that it should perform, and making sure its performance is as expected.
Once testing has been completed the result of the PAT test should be clearly stated. The most common method of this is simply placing a label on the equipment. The label will say whether the appliance has passed or failed, and should also include more specific details of its condition. It will give the date of the test and the date at which another test will be necessary.
Equipment that is faulty or damaged should be removed from service immediately. It can then be determined whether or not the seriousness of the damage is sufficient for the equipment to be out of use.
PAT testing records are required to be kept for the duration of the life of the appliance. This is a legal necessity as it shows that tests have been carried out and the results of them.
Andrew Marshall ©
Portable Appliance Testing
Wooden Accessories Company Wood Engraved Cufflinks
Secure your sleeves in style with this pair of hand made cufflinks. These have a bullet back that makes them very easy to use and secure- even those who have never used cufflinks before can easily secure them in place.Durable Cherry Wood With Laser Cut Design
We've combined the durability of cherry wood and the precision of a laser cut design to produce a durable yet beautiful men's cufflink that can be used every day.Proudly Made In The USA
These cufflinks are proudly made here in the USA. These small cufflinks are handmade to make sure that the finish is even and presentable.Suitable Gift For The Men In Your Life
Whether you are looking for a gift for your dad, husband, brother, male friend or boss, these cufflinks are ideal. These can also be a good party favor for your male guests on any occasion you are celebrating.Specifications:
Material: Hand finished Premium Cherry Wood
Size: 14mm diameter x 3mm thickness
Design: Laser Cut Origami Swan Design
Warranty: Wooden Accessories Co's Product Warranty
Place an order for a pair today!Price: $29.99
- MADE OF PREMIUM CHERRY WOOD FOR DURABILITY- A 3 mm thick cherry wood is used to create the head of these round cufflinks as the thickness and natural hardness of the wood make them suitable for everyday wear.
- DETAILED LASER ENGRAVED ORIGAMI SWAN DESIGN- On the front face of each of the handmade cufflinks is a origami swan design etched with precision laser engraving to make sure that the design is detailed and clear.
- HAND FINISHED CUFFLINKS MADE IN THE USA- After the laser engraving procedure, each of the shirt cufflinks is hand finished here in the USA to ensure the good quality of the product.
- EASY TO USE BULLET BACK TYPE WOOD CUFFLINKS SET- This type of wooden cufflink is very easy to use, which is why it is an ideal gift even for those who are new to wearing cufflinks for their long sleeve shirts.
- GREAT GIFT FOR THE SPECIAL MEN IN YOUR LIFE- Any man would appreciate being able to receive a unique cufflinks set. Give it to your husband, dad, brother, boss or any other man in your life.